Monday, January 19, 2015

And so it begins.

"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." D&C 122:7-9 ❤

I am going to Taylor Andrew's Academy of Hair Design in Orem, Utah, and should graduate in August 2015 (if you need your hair done, come in and ask for Zoe;) ). When I'm done, my plan is to work as many jobs as time will allow and go on a crazy adventure every other month. Sled dog racing in Alaska, backpacking in Europe, hiking in Japan and Hawaii, horseback riding anywhere the wind takes me. My bucket list grows every single day.

This blog was originally meant to be about my adventures. But lately, I've felt impressed to share with you my story, starting from day one.

So let's start with the rough draft, and with time I will fill in the holes. I was born in Portland, Maine, to a hippie father and a rock & roll mother. My sister, Yazmine, was almost three at the time. Within months, we moved to Colorado where my dad's side of the family lives. Crested Butte - a small town on the top of a mountain in the middle of a forest that not a lot of people know about. Literally the most amazing place a person could ever find themselves. This is where my favorite memories were made. We later moved to Alaska; my dad was a commercial fisherman. All I remember about Kodiak is the layout of the bathroom and always spitting toothpaste in my sister's hair. Well, time brought us back to Crested Butte, and that's when my parents began the process of their divorce. Keep in mind, all of this happened before I was five.
Kindergarten was approaching and my parents were slowly slipping into a state where they were unable to care for my sister and I. Rather than allowing us to go into foster care, my grandparents in Salt Lake City took us under their wings. This is when I began attendig the Church od Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My parents worsened, both absent from my sister's and my life for quite some time. When I was in third grade, my mom got out of rehab and came home for good, and this is when the five of us (grandparents, sister, mom, and myself) moved to the suburbs 30 minutes outside of the city.

--Sorry for this dry story, the dirty details will come in posts later on! I promise, it'll turn into a good one :)

Well elementary, middle school, high school, all consisted of good times and bad times. My dad never found his way out of his addictions. So, after I graduated I bought a one-way plane ticket to Cape May, NJ where he was living and moved in with him, unsure as to where I'd end up in a few months time. I spent the summer there, prayed for hours upon hours as to what I needed to do next in my life, and ended back up in Utah four months later with my dad in tow. He moved back to Colorado because he realized he needed to be closer to family, and since then he's changed more than I've ever see a person change. The whole ordeal is an amazing story for another day.

So here I am, in Provo, Utah, living a seemingly average life. And in this moment, life is perfect. I am happy, and I have absolutely no complaints. But how does a person get to a point where they can say life is everything they have ever wanted?  For me, it has taken seeing Hell first to recognize when I've reached something truly made of bliss.

xo Zo